Return to Home Page

Appeal against orders of planning authority

The section 49 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971 require that any one who intends to develop any land or building should take a planning permission before commencement of the development work, whose site falls within the jurisdiction of the planning authority. Planning permissions may be even refused by the authority for valid reasons as well.

Further as per sub section (1) of section 54 of the Act, the planning authority is empowered to revoke or modify the permission to such extent as necessary.

The section 79 of the Act provides oppertunity to persons aggrieved by any decision or order of the planning authority regarding permission to carry out any development on any land or building under section 49, sub-section (1) or revocation and modification of permission to development under section 54 (1) could make an appeal against such decision or orders to the prescribed authority

Such appeals should be preferred within two months from the date on which the decision or order was communicated to him in the manner prescribed.

The prescribed authority may admit an appeal preferred after the said period of two months if he is satisfied that the appallent had sufficient cause for not preferring the appealwithin the specified time.

The prescribed authority after giving the parties an oppertunity of making their representations, will pass such orders as he may deem fit.

the decision of the prescribed authority is final.

The prescribed authority may pass such interlocutory orders pending final orders as he deem fit